Pages

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

What first made you want to become an artist?

Frankly, I don't know if I consider myself an artist. I have a deep love of the things I make, but I am just compelled to make. I think designer fits me better, even though I don't sell my patterns. But I remember going through spurts where I was all about one medium or another. There was origami, paints, paper, fabric, polymer clay, yarn and what have you. Some things have come full circle. Yarn, fabric, and paper have become staples for me in one way or another.
I wish I could tell you some amazing fortuitous story of how I stumbled upon my great gift along with the epiphany that I must share it with the world. But I can't. I just have to make the things.  I am the only one who is so driven by the need to be creative, to design, to make that I have every intention of making it my full time income. And I mean full time in every sense of the words. I am happiest at home with my materials and my favorite people around me. I did know early on that I am not meant to work in a regular 9-5. My brain just doesn't tick well in those environments. Working on my graphic arts degree has helped broaden my creative interests (and freelance opportunities). It has also allowed me to be fully in charge of my logo and brand identity. It also gives me insight into marketing. I may roll it into another degree later, but for now I have enough on my plate from school, work, building my dream, and being mom to my amazing daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Business Site